MPG is offering two part and/or full-time volunteering opportunities with We Are a Welcoming Europe – a European wide campaign coordinated by MPG. The internships will involve multimedia communications and campaign coordination, starting in September/October 2018 for 3 to 5 months.
If you’re interested in joining the campaign but do not qualify to apply, do not hesitate to write us and find out how to get involved as a volunteer.
The Migration Policy Group (MPG) is a think-and-do-tank based in Brussels. Throughout 2017, MPG has been coordinating the preparation of a European-wide campaign on migration and asylum. The #WelcomingEurope campaign calls on the European Commission to provide means and rules for citizens who stand up for a more tolerant Europe towards migrants & refugees. The campaign is backed by a large coalition of European organisations and will finish in February 2019.
The #WelcomingEurope campaign is a European Citizens’ Initiative (ECI) proposal submitted to the European Commission by a large alliance of civil society organisations and NGOs across Europe. An ECI is the most visible and legally binding tool for direct democracy in Europe. If the petition obtains 1 million signatures within a year from EU citizens in at least seven member states, then the formal political pressure increases as the European Parliament must offer a public hearing to the sponsors and the European Commission is obliged to consider the proposal. Citizens are able to sign the ECI since 15 February 2018, and most of the signatures are collected online.
The volunteers will perform various tasks and assist the team in the daily management of the campaign. These tasks can include:
- Support the campaign coordination, with a focus on Spain, Germany and France
- Secure new partners and intersectional allies (e.g. education, medical, humanitarian sectors and ‘Refugees Welcome’ grassroots)
- Coordinate joint national advocacy strategies in the run-up to European elections
- Analyse audience data and report on the performance of our communications
- Follow-up with signatories of the petition and find ways to involve them in the campaign’s communications
- Create and design visual content for the #WelcomingEurope campaign that will be used for social media and the website
- Monitor and report on news that relate to the campaign and can be used for communications purposes
– Interest in human rights, asylum, migration or social justice related topics
– Ability to manage multiple deadlines and work effectively with a high attention to detail
– Independence and sense of initiative
– Proficiency in English and German or French or Spanish
-Good knowledge of civil society and migration sector as well as past and current online/offline campaigns on any topic
-Ability to develop new communications content and tailor messages to various audiences and channels
-Experience in the use of social media management tools and ability to manage communities interested in human rights, asylum, migration or social justice related issues;
-Experience in graphic design and ability to create short and impactful (graphics or videos) for social media
What we offer:
The internship is not paid. Interns will learn from campaigning and asylum/migration experts about the latest European Union developments. You will have the opportunity to improve your communications skills by interacting with a European audience in multiple languages and coordinate a wide coalition of partner organisations across Europe. You will work within a dynamic and collaborative campaign and communications team.
Volunteering duration and location: 3 to 5 months, based at MPG’s office (rue Belliard, 205, Brussels)
Hours of work: 19 to 38 hours per week
If you’re interested to join the campaign but do not qualify to apply, do not hesitate to write us and find out how to get involved.