Transatlantic Migrant Democracy Dialogue
TMDD is a transatlantic network of diverse migrant and refugee leaders. We work to strengthen democracies by collectively building powerful movements and communities across Europe and the US.
Democracy Summits have been organised in 2017 in Hamburg, 2018 in Dublin and 2019 in Athens for dozens of migrant and refugee leaders.
Three TMDD participants became Democracy Fellows in MPG’s VoteEuropa campaign to get migrants out to vote in the 2019 European elections.
Drawing on its long-standing commitment and research on political participation, MPG coordinates this network to help migrant and refugee leaders to innovate and mobilise. MPG works with its European migrant leadership team and the best European and US trainers.
Interested to join or follow our future trainings? Sign up to our TMDD mailing list!
We strive for just, inclusive, vibrant and diverse democracies in Europe and the US that function for ALL PEOPLE—and in which migrants and refugees are full participants.
We work to strengthen democracies by collectively building powerful movements and communities across Europe and the US.
- JUSTICE (working towards a world without inequalities).
- SOLIDARITY (supporting migrant leadership, collaboration, alliance building).
- DEMOCRACY (transformation, migrant participation and representation).
- Capacity building (Political Participation, Strategic Communications, Electoral Organising).
- Build a network and create shared experiences and a sense of belonging.
- Provide support to leaders and members (Fundraising, Strategic Communications, Civic Engagement).
- Create positive narratives.
- Practice co-creation and collective action in our leadership team.
To train and develop leaders, select and win issue-based campaigns and to transform service-oriented integration initiatives. …more
Facilitators: Gustavo Torres, Casa, Joshua Hoyt, National Partnership for New Americans.
To train and develop community volunteers to inform, advise and support via legal services, intercultural mediation, interpretation, etc. …more
Facilitators: Laura Tuell, Jones Day Law Firms, Sarah Mesick, National Partnership for New Americans, Melina Gonzalez, LSA Family Health Service, Zrinka Bralo, Migrants Organise.
Alliance & Coalition Building
To identify and secure key allies for advocacy, campaigns and welcoming strategies. …more
Facilitators: Mireya Reith, Founding executive director, Arkansas United, Teresa Buczkowska, Immigrant Council of Ireland, Breschkai Ferhad, Federal Association of Migrant Networks.
To inform and encourage immigrant communities to become voters, citizens and civically active. …more
Facilitators: Thomas Huddleston, Research Director, Migration Policy Group, Gustavo Torres, Executive Director, CASA.